local network only?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 23 11:40:39 PDT 1993

> I don't have an account on this machine.  The machine doesn't seem to care.
> Does the machine keep a record of this letter, I don't know?

You don't need an account on the machine, but I can still tell that
you came through amtel.com, and most likely originated from the
machine "bass", but I can't be sure about that.  Yes, machines do keep
logs of all mail transactions, so I could theoretically track down
that message.  It's not difficult.

Granted, it would probably take me some time to track this down
truely, although I know that you do get the cypherpunks list in some
fashion, so I can recursively track down everyone on the cypherpunks
list until I find you.  (I'm not going to do that, since its not worth
my time, but it's possible!)

Yes, using the "mconnect" command will let you type anything you want.
Like I said, forging e-mail is trivial, but it down't buy you
anything.  There are always logs at some point!

-derek