Remailers/PayPhones and Today's NYT

Ed Carp khijol!erc at apple.com
Fri Jul 23 08:35:37 PDT 1993

> Re "NY Tel cutting off payphone service in *some areas.*"
>
> You can bet those areas are black.  You can bet that high up in some
> corporate office tower, the opinion was voiced, "what the hell do those
> pickaninnies need phones for anyway?!"  Call it Information-Age Apartheid if
> you wish, you won't be off the mark by much.

Oh, *bullshit*.  Decisions like that are almost always driven by monetary
concerns.  In this case, the vandalism rate for pay phones in certain areas
is too high, so they just pull the phones.  It's a statistical fact that
vandalism is higher in predominately black areas.
--
Ed Carp				erc at apple.com			510/659-9560
"Disagreements are not meant to be challenges.  They are just a different