Macpgp 2.3

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Thu Jul 22 22:31:36 PDT 1993

> I just fetched macpgp 2.3 from soda, and wound up with a file ending in
> the suffix "gz". This is a new one on me, and I don't know how to decode
> it. Can anybody inform me? Inside whatever it is is a binhexed compactor
> file, and I can deal with those formats, but the outside wrapper defies
> every decompressing utility I've got.
>
> Tom DeBoni

"gunzip" does the job. Fortunately for me, Netcom had it installed.
Gunzip the file, send it to your home machine (I use "sz"), unstuff it
and double-click the .sea file.

This compression stuff--pun intended--is getting out of hand. Files
are zipped, gzipped, binhexed, stuffed, and made into self-extracting
archives! Seriously, I've had several of these associated with just
one file. Mostly the compression is a waste, as the Internet already
compresses (so I have been told), and for sure when I "sz" the
gunzipped file to my home Mac for debinhexing, unstuffing, and
self-extracting, my Supra modem has already tried in vain to compress
the files for transmission! (I know, by the way, that binhexing is not
compression, and that the .sea archives are a way to ship multiple
files and folders, but, still....)

MacPGP 2.3 is very nice, by the way! A wonderfuly "help" facility, and
an even cleaner interface.

-Tim

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.