ANON: remail abuse

peter honeyman honey at citi.umich.edu
Wed Jul 21 21:34:55 PDT 1993

> The reason anonymous remailers are not the same as payphones or junk mail is
> that the latter two leave tangible clues behind.  While I'm not entirely happy
> with the US justice system, it seems to me that given society's current
> limitations, a police force of some sort is generally a good thing (if strict
> controls are kept on it).  (Sorry, I realize that this is a bit of a fringe
> opinion in *this* group, but. . . .)  Both payphones and mail leave tangible
> clues which can be investigated and traced by law enforcement authorities.
> Anonymous mail doesn't---at least, not without actually running a process or a
> logger on the machine itself.

wow, much to disagree with in that paragraph.  tell you what, though.  since
you have such faith in the bloodhounds of the justice system, why don't you
post your home phone number here and invite a test of the efficacy of those
tangible clues etc.?

i haven't a clue, tangible or otherwise, how you would trace a carefully
plotted campaign of harrassment, whether by phone or postal mail.  perhaps
you could elaborate?

	peter