People's rights????

J. Michael Diehl mdiehl at vesta.unm.edu
Tue Jul 20 22:45:45 PDT 1993

     This isn't actually, crypto-related, but it does relate to privacy.
The other day, I was watching COPS on TV. (No flames, please)  They showed a
segment where the LEA had received complaints about the conditions in which
some children were living.  They were poor and living in a trailer.  So the
cop knocks on the door and the father answers.  THE COP STEPS INSIDE, SAYS,
"WE'VE HAD SOME COMPLAINTS.....AND I NEED TO TAKE A LOOK AROUND!"  The cop
then went through the people's living quarters!  Then the cop decided that
he was a child-care expert and that the conditions were not fit for the
children to live in.  SO THE COP TOOK THE CHILDREN AWAY.

     Now this scares the shit out of me.  Did this cop have the right to
just walk in and search the place based on a complaint?  Why didn't the man
know to ask for a warrent?  Was this cop trained as a social worker?  Is it
now possible to be so poor that the stat won't let you keep your children?
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a weep-for-the-poor-liberal; I'm very
conservative.  But don't these poor people have rights?

     Does anyone know if there is a news-list devoted to people's rights?
Thanx for letting me vent my rage!  Laters

| J. Michael Diehl ;-)  | I thought I was wrong once. | PGP KEY |
| mdiehl at triton.unm.edu |   But, I was mistaken.      |available|
| mike.diehl at fido.org   |                             | Ask Me! |
+------"I'm just looking for the opportunity to be -------------+
|            Politically Incorrect!"   <Me>                     |
+-----If codes are outlawed, only criminals wil have codes.-----+
+----Is Big Brother in your phone?  If you don't know, ask me---+