subliminal messages

Karl Barrus elee9sf at Menudo.UH.EDU
Tue Jul 20 17:09:27 PDT 1993

Eric Hughes just told me some extremely interesting information
concerning subliminal channels and the DSS.  Apparently, the DSS is
very hospitable towards subliminal channels.  (I won't summarize
further since Eric may have posted to the list).

Again: a subliminal channel is a channel in which an external observer
is unaware of communication.  For example, two prisoners want to
communicate.  The warden agrees if the messages are plaintext.  The
prisoners agree if they can authenticate (digitally sign) the messages
- - after all, the warden may try to spoof them.  The warden agrees to
this arrangement (for instance, after reading up on digital signatures
in Denning's book, which doesn't cover subliminal channels!), allowing
the prisoners to embed their true communication in the digital
signature of their plaintext messages.

Before showing an example El Gamal subliminal channel, I'll briefly
describe El Gamal's authentication scheme (since most people are
familiar with or have heard of the RSA method only).  In El Gamal's
scheme (from Seberry and Pieprzyk's "Cryptography: an Introduction to
Computer Security"):

1) Alice chooses p a prime, g a primitive element of GF(p), r a random
   integer.  Loosely, g (being primitive) can be used to generate the
   rest of the field GF(p) by exponentiation.
2) Alice calculates K = g^r mod p
   Alice publishes (K,g,p) as the public key
3) a message M is authenticated by first choosing a second random
   integer r' such that r' and p-1 are relatively prime
   Alice computes X = g^r' mod p
   Alice solves M = rX + r'Y mod p-1 for Y
   Alice sends (M,X,Y) to B and keeps (r,r') secret
4) Bob can verify the message M by calculating A = K^X X^Y mod p and
   only accepts the message as authentic if and only if A = g^M mod p

The example in the book is (I'm not sitting at a NeXT at the moment,
the only place it's convenient for me to use Mathematica, or I'd use
some larger numbers):

Alice chooses p = 11, g = 2, r = 8
Alice computes K = g^r mod p = 2^8 mod 11 = 3
Thus (K,g,p) = (3,2,11)
Say the message is M = 5
Alice chooses r' = 9.  GCD(r',p-1) = 1, so they are relatively prime
Alice computes X = g^r' mod p = 2^9 mod 11 = 6
Alice solves M = rX + r'Y mod p-1 for Y
             5 = 8*6 + 9*Y mod 10; yeilding Y = 3
Alice sends out the triple (M,X,Y) = (5,6,3) to Bob.

Note: M can be read.

Bob now has (M,X,Y) = (5,6,3) and the public key (K,g,p) = (3,2,11)
Bob calculates A = K^X X^Y mod p = 3^6 6^3 mod 11 = 10
Bob calculates g^M mod p = 2^5 mod 11 = 10

So, since A = 10 and g^M mod p = 10, the message is valid.

Again, when I have a chance I'll plug in much larger numbers so you
don't think it all works out by coincidence.

In the El Gamal subliminal channel, somehow the random integer r is
known by both parties.  So Alice and Bob agree on a random r before
they ever find themselves in the position of using a subliminal
channel.

1) Alice chooses p, g as before.  She chooses the r that she and Bob
   share.  She calculates K as before.
2) Alice calculates the subliminal message m, using a plaintext
   message M, by calculating X = g^m and solving the following equation
   for Y: M = rX + mY mod (p-1)
3) Alice send (M,X,Y) to Bob.
4) Bob receives (M,X,Y) and knows (p,g) which are public and the
   secret r he shares with Alice.
5) Bob calculates A = (g^r)^X X^Y mod p and accepts the message M as
   authentic if A = g^M mod p (as before in El Gamal authentication).
6) Now Bob extracts the subliminal message by computing
   m = Y^-1 (M - rX) mod (p-1)

As before, (K,g,p) = (3,2,11) is public.  r = 8 is the shared secret.
Alice wants to send m = 9, using the plaintext message M = 5
Alice computes X = g^m mod p = 2^9 mod 11 = 6
Alice solves 5 = 8*6 9Y mod 10 for Y; Y = 3
Alice sends (M,X,Y) = (5,6,3) to Bob.

Bob computes A = (2^8)^6 6^3 mod 11 = 10
Bob computes g^M mod p = 2^5 mod 11 = 10
These are equal, so Bob accepts the message.
Now, he extracts the subliminal message: m = Y^-1 (M - rX) mod (p-1)
  = 3^-1 (5 - 8*6) mod 10 = 9.

So, it is possible to communicate information with subliminal
channels.  A real life example where this could occur is with ham
radio operators.  Encrypted messages are illegal, but checksum message
can be transmitted, so the checksum can be modified to include a
subliminal message.  I'm just pointing this out for theoretical
interest - I know it's illegal!

Now, back to subliminal messages and the DSS.  Suppose the government
decides to authenticate the information on your driver's license with
DSS.  All sorts of information can be included subliminally, such as
an arrest record, number of speeding tickets, if the person in
question is suspicious, etc...