State Departnemt shuts down DEC machine

In search of cognitive dissonance... 13-Jul-1993 1036 yerazunis at aidev.enet.dec.com
Tue Jul 13 08:02:35 PDT 1993

>This looks annoyingly like a variant of the "initiative" a few years
>back where the State Dept. wanted makers of high performance
>workstations to export them only in a locked-down configuration
>capable of executing only the applications they were originally
>purchased to run; compilers need not apply...  fortunately, that died
>a quick & quiet death.

And people wonder why DEC is setting up production lines in both
Ireland and Israel to build Alpha chips, and contracting with
Kyocera to make them in Singapore as well... It's not export if
it never started out in the USA now, is it?  :-)

[this is my opinion ONLY, and is not necessarily the opinion or
strategy of my employer]

	-Bill