REMAILER: really anon?

Carlos Macedo Gomes remail at tamsun.tamu.edu
Sat Jul 10 22:24:09 PDT 1993

> If you can trace the origin (sender) of this message please send me mail
> personally rather than to the list.  I'm using my favorite remailer here
> and I want to make sure it's working right.
[stuff deleted]
> My main curiosity in this quest is to determine what each header will look
> like when the mail is recieved.  I think this is important in determining
> which remailer to use.
[stuff deleted]

12: remail at tamsun.tamu.edu

> From: remail at tamsun.tamu.edu
> Remailed-By: Anonymous <remail at tamsun.tamu.edu>

>   (5.65b/IDA-1.4.3 for you at yourhost); Tue, 6 Jul 93 04:15:57 -0500
>
> you at yourhost = your address! ...really!
>
> 13: remail at tamaix.tamu.edu
>
> From: remail at tamsun.tamu.edu
> Remailed-By: Anonymous <remail at tamsun.tamu.edu>

The remailed email from tamsun and tamaix have the same format, but you have
interpreted the headers incorrectly.  Please note that you at yourhost mentioned
above is not the sender's address but rather the recipients address.  You might
have been confused by this if you were sending and reading from the same
account.  The mail from tamsun and tamaix IS anonymous.  Take a look at this
piece of the header for your message to the cypherpunks list:

  (5.65b/IDA-1.4.3 for cypherpunks at toad.com); Fri, 9 Jul 93 16:21:06 -0500

As you can see you at yourhost as you demarked in your message actually refers to
the recepient's address and not the sender's.  If I have misunderstood your
message, please excuse.  I just felt compelled to clear any doubts about the
anonymity of these two remailers.

Please feel free to reply to me personally if you'd like to get a close look at
the remailers.

ciao,
Carlos

--