ANON: nntp, apology

nobody at mead.u.washington.edu nobody at mead.u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 8 13:30:54 PDT 1993

I feel silly.  It just occurred to me that the remailers operate by
piping to sendmail directly; thus a lone period is interpreted as "the
end".  So I have cunningly arranged for my message to be indented by
one space (emacs has lots of functions!).

I apologize for posting this essentially three times.  I'm sure by now
nobody cares how to forge a usenet post :-)

 So, we can all forge mail with smtp, use the cypherpunk remailers, use
 "anonymous" servers like penet and charcoal, email-to-usenet gateways,
 etc.  I've never seen instructions on how to forge a usenet post, so
 here goes:

 1) Telnet to an NNTP server (see Yanoff's internet services list)
 2) Type 'post'.  After a bit, you'll get an OK message.
 3) Type in what you want to appear.  Have in mind before you start
    what fields you want in the header, or check other posts to see what
    they have.
 4) End with a period on a line all by itself.  After a bit, you'll get
    a "Post OK" message.
 5) Type 'quit'

 For example, I was experimenting and telnetted to news.fu-berlin.de 119:

 menudo> telnet news.fu-berlin.de 119
 Trying 130.133.4.250...
 Connected to gibb.math.fu-berlin.de.
 Escape character is '^]'.
 200 gibb NNTP server version 1.5.11 (10 February 1991) ready at Thu Jul  8 16:19:05 1993 (posting ok).
 post
 340 Ok