turning on yourself during car stops

Daniel Ray norstar at tnl.com
Fri Jan 29 13:30:21 PST 1993

>From: Peter Honeyman <honey at citi.umich.edu>
>To: cypherpunks at toad.com, edgar at spectrx.Saigon.COM
>Date: Mon, 25 Jan 93 19:57:20 EST
>Subject: Re: public servant privacy
>
>i believe there is a special exception related to automobiles
>that makes them subject to search without a warrant when the
>driver is placed under arrest.  but check with a lawyer.
>
>	peter

essentially 90+% of all contraband found during traffic stops on the highway
is because the driver consented to a search. Literally the police officer
will ask "can I search your car?" and people, even experienced criminals, will
say "ok alright" even though they should know better.

some think that saying no means just a delay and they search anyways. this is
not the case. If they ask, and you say no, the most that happens is that you
get a delay and they may bring in a dog for a sniff. If they can search anyway,
they will just do it and not ask. Just respond "I want to preserve my privacy".
Police know that virtually NO ONE refuses a "consent-search" request. and in
most cases, if you do know better and refuse, they will not bring a dog and
will let you go.

lately a trucker consented to a search where they discovered several million
dollars in cocaine in his cab. Police know this phenomenon and, needless to
say, exploit it fully. And they know how to "sweet talk" people, which is
a method of questions & answers that further enhances cooperation from other-
wise noncompliant people.

Remember: "Just say no". It may save your ass.

norstar at tnl.com