Rational PC mail , was Re: PGP on BBS

Chael Hall nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Sun Jan 24 19:12:03 PST 1993

>Using a computer as a computer is clearly the way to go. There
>are a number of low-cost or free Unix providers, I expect that
>they do, or can be talked into supporting POP.

     I agree that it's the best way to go, but as you will see below
it's not (IMHO) what's best for everyone.

>I expect that current terminal/menu based BBSes will disapear
>once folks realize how much better easier, faster, and all
>around better programs that use computers as computers work.

     I think a wide variety of services need to be provided in order
to allow each person to use computer systems in their own way.  For
example, the following are all popular types of systems that each
have a large following:

     CompuServe, Prodigy, GEnie, etc.
     Bulletin Board Systems (dial-up, non-Internet related)
     VMS
     UNIX

     If BBSes were eliminated in the long run, many users would have
to learn the more difficult UNIX or resort to CI$ et al or VMS.  I
personally use BBSes, UNIX, and VMS (in no particular order) and
enjoy each for its special abilities.  BBSes are a totally different
environment than UNIX, thus I think they will stick around for quite
a while.  They allow the sysadm to provide much more personality and
creativity than UNIX with very little knowledge of the underlying
operating system by comparison.

Chael Hall

--
Chael Hall