possible solution to the anonymous harrassment problem

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 15 11:19:09 PST 1993

> You're poorly informed.  As a condition of a grant from DARPA to RSADSI,
> RSAREF may be used noncommercially, for free, to do any of the following:
>      -    RSA encryption and key generation, as defined by RSA Data
>             Security's Public-Key Cryptography Standards (PKCS) [4]
>      -    MD2 and MD5 message digests [3,5,6]
>      -    DES (Data Encryption Standard) in cipher-block chaining mode
>             [7,8]
> Moreover, I believe you'll find that RSADSI has become much more helpful
> recently.  For more information, anonymous ftp to rsa.com and look around.
>
> I've just gone over the RSAREF license agreement again.  It seems to permit
> any sort of not-for-profit operation, including a public key service.

Uhh, this is not quite true.  If you read closer, you will see that
you need "special permission from RSADSI" to use non-published
interfaces to RSAREF.  At the end is an exerpt from the RSAREF
documentation about its interface.  If you want more functionality,
you have to ask special permission!

This means that without this permission, you CANNOT use "RSA
encryption" in-and-of itself.

-derek

---------- begin exerpt --------------
RSAREF is written entirely in C. Its application interface includes
the following routines:

      R_SignPEMBlock     computes a digital signature on a message
R_VerifyPEMSignature     verifies a digital signature on a message
R_VerifyBlockSignature   verifies a digital signature on a block of
                           data such as a certificate

      R_SealPEMBlock     computes a digital signature and encrypts a
                           message
      R_OpenPEMBlock     decrypts an encrypted message and verifies a
                           digital signature

       R_DigestBlock     computes a message digest on a message

   R_GeneratePEMKeys     generates an RSA public/private key pair

        R_RandomInit     initializes a random structure
      R_RandomUpdate     mixes bytes into a random structure
R_GetRandomBytesNeeded   computes the number of mix-in bytes still
                           needed to seed a random structure
       R_RandomFinal     zeroizes a random structure