possible solution to the anonymous h

David Clunie dclunie at pax.tpa.com.au
Fri Jan 15 00:38:16 PST 1993

> RSA has a patent on their algorithm.  It's quite likely that I can't
> even create a key pair without their permission, let alone use it.

I am not familiar with the legal status of patents and software packages,
but it seems to me that they can sell you a program and license you to
use it, but forcing you to use one of their key servers instead of your
own seems pretty far fetched.

I would be very surprised if the law is clear cut on this issue, or has
ever been tested. I gather software licenses are pretty hazy territory at
the best of times without getting involved in patent law as well !@#$

david