possible solution to the anonymous harrassment problem

peter honeyman honey at citi.umich.edu
Thu Jan 14 19:44:54 PST 1993

the remailer of my dreams would offer ironclad guarantees of
anonymity.  call me a cynic, but asking me to place my trust in the
hands of ...  well, just about anybody! leaves me cold.

i recognize that social issues will surely arise, but society has
managed to deal with anonymity in other contexts.  for example, i
can send postal mail with high confidence of anonymity, and can make
anonymous phone calls (with care, e.g., by using phone booths and
moving around).

something tells me that the difference here is that we are getting
remailer services for free.  how's the cypherpunks bank coming along?
i have an application in mind ...

a final comment:

>                              Remember, if people were honest, we
> wouldn't need encryption, either.

forgive me if i'm coming on too strong, but that is total bullshit.
privacy and honesty are orthogonal.

	peter