Why mailers should not touch the body

Jordan Hayes jordan at imsi.com
Sun Jan 3 08:08:38 PST 1993

I got lots of mail telling me that signing messages in the body of the
message came about because "various mailers" munge header lines.  Now
it's true that for gateway processing, To: and From: lines need to get
translated, but I've never seen a mailer change or remove a header that
doesn't have to do with addressing before.  Can someone provide an
example?  My claim is that a signature belongs on the envelope and not
in the body.

-----

To be clear, I'm talking about (e.g.) a PGP signature, not a .signature
with a cute saying in it.

/jordan