more ideas on anonymity

Jordan Hayes jordan at imsi.com
Sun Feb 28 09:22:36 PST 1993

	From thug at phantom.com Sat Feb 27 20:56:03 1993

	Try telling this to the person behind the counter when you're
	trying to rent a car, rent a hotel room for the night, or rent
	a mailbox for 6 months.

These are examples of transactions that are *ongoing* and thus are
*not* satisfied by an initial cash payment.  When you rent a car or
hotel room, the transaction does not finish until you have left and the
room has been inspected.  At my mailbox service, I can incur charges
for all kinds of things (receiving COD packages, receiving faxen, etc.)
during the term of my rent.

	The thing is, they never ask for ID if you're paying by credit
	card since they assume the credit card is enough proof of who
	you are.

No, the credit card says they can recover damages if you trash the room.

/jordan