Remailer FIXED!

Chael Hall nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Tue Feb 23 11:43:33 PST 1993

Dearest Cypherpunks,

     I am really sorry about the remailer problem.  It is unique to
the configuration of anon.penet.fi and nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu.  In
conjunction, they caused all of the anonymous postings to cypherpunks
to be echoed.  Anon.penet.fi inserts the "X-Anonymously-To" header
field into outbound messages.  Nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu searches for
"X-Anonymously-To" header fields and auto-remails to that address.
I just changed the program so that the only header fields it will
respond to are "X-Anon-To" and "Request-Remailing-To."

     Personally, I think that anon.penet.fi should use a different
name than X-Anonymously-To *or* put it at the end of the message instead
of within the header.  I admit that my remailer was "broken" in the
terms of others, so I have fixed it.  This problem would have been
fixed sooner if I had realized what was going on, but since I foolishly
thought I didn't need to keep logs for my remailer anymore, I never
saw the incoming messages, just the ones that cypherpunks at toad.com
mailed back to me with *my* account name on them.

     I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

Chael Hall

--
Chael Hall
nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu, 00CCHALL at BSUVC.BSU.EDU, CHALL at CLSV.Charon.BSU.Edu