Doubled penet messages

Hal 74076.1041 at CompuServe.COM
Tue Feb 23 09:38:43 PST 1993

I see what's causing the double messages from Deadbeat.

Penet puts an X-Anonymously-To: cypherpunks at toad.com into the header that it
sends.  (I'm not sure why it has to do this; isn't this redundant with the
"To:" header?)  The cypherpunks mailing list rebroadcaster keeps this
header.  The mailing list goes to Chael Hall's remailer.  That remailer sees
the X-Anonymously-To line in the header and thinks this message is a
remailing request.  (The other Cypherpunks remailers uses a different header
line for their remailing requests.)  That remailer then obediently sends the
mail to Cypherpunks, and so we get two messages.

Either Chael's remailer should not accept X-Anonymously-To as its remailing
request, or Penet should not put X-Anonymously-To into the outgoing message
headers.

Perhaps this would be a good time to standardize the supported set of
headers for remailing requests.

Hal