anonymous mail

Karl Barrus elee9sf at Menudo.UH.EDU
Sat Feb 20 09:27:34 PST 1993

Earlier, Bob Stratton wrote:

>Are you sure?  If that's true, then someone along the way is munging
>the headers pretty badly, because my Received: lines show it going
>from

>pmantis -> toad.com -> me

That's right, because each remailer attempts to discard as much of the
header as possible.  Otherwise it wouldn't be anonymous - if I were to
send a message to you through rosebud and the headers showed the path
from me to rosebud and rosebud to you, you'd know where the message
really came from!

So the header of an anonymously mailed message should make it look
like the message originated from the last hop.

| Karl L. Barrus                    |
| barrus at tree.egr.uh.edu (NeXTMail) |