`Sunday Times' article on GSM changes

John Draper crunch at netcom.com
Fri Feb 5 12:20:11 PST 1993

Gilmore writes:

>Anyone interested in beating him to the net with something that
>would compress voice (or voicemail) in realtime on a 486 or a SPARC?

I used to build voice scramblers,  but mostly in hardware using
a Psuedo noise source.    It wirked pretty good,  but had to
compress the bandwidth down to about 2kHz.   Thus the reason
why it sounds like talking in a tunnel.    Has anyone done a
feasability study on whether of not a 486 or Sparc station can
do this in real time?

It would seem to me that Voice mail systems should incorperate
this in their system,   thus scrambling the messages unless a
access code can be used to retrieve it.

JD