`Sunday Times' article on GSM changes

Jay Prime Positive jpp at markv.com
Thu Feb 4 20:06:05 PST 1993

I speculated:
> Speculation: The "A5 `scrambling code'" is used as the spreading code
> for a spread spectrum radio.

  But I now belive I was wrong.  A reader, who I will allow to remain
unnamed, informed me that there is only one SS cellular comunication
system -- interestingly enough they were using it at the time!  They
told me that the GSM system is narrow band.  So I now ...

Speculate: The "A5 `scrambling code'" is an actual cypher system.  But
the key is negociated between the phone and the cell, not the phone
and the other phone.

j'