End of Year E-Zine Listing

Anonymous nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Thu Dec 30 18:29:33 PST 1993

Once again, we find ourselves facing a new jahre and pondering
the untold wonders of the anarchy of cyberspace!

In celebration of this joyous occasion, I've decided to
post a compilation of electronic 'zines for your perusal.

I especially like the reference for Practical Anarchy and will
probably send a copy of this message to our old chum, Larry
"the squid" Detweiler.

Enjoy,

- Spooge

/---------------- good stuff follows ------------------/

Last updated: 27-Aug-93 by John Labovitz <johnl at netcom.com>

This is a summary of electronically-accessible zines.  The format should
be fairly self-explanatory.  In most cases, descriptions are excerpted from
the masthead of the zine listed.

[For those of you not acquainted with the zine world, "zine" is short for
either "fanzine" or "magazine," depending on your point of view.  Zines are
generally produced by one person or a small group of people, done mostly for
fun, and often irreverent, bizarre, and/or esoteric.  Zines are not
"mainstream" publications -- they generally do not contain advertisements
(except, sometimes, advertisements for other zines), do not have a large
subscriber base, and are not produced to make money.]

If you have any additions, deletions, or changes to this list, please email
them to johnl at netcom.com.

I will post this list (and/or changes to the list) to various mailing lists
and Usenet news groups.  It can also be obtained via anonymous FTP from
netcom.com as "/pub/johnl/zines/e-zine-list", and via email (either single
issues or subscriptions) from e-zines-request at netcom.com.

If you publish an e-zine, or know someone who does, please send a copy to
e-zines at netcom.com and I'll add the relevant info to this database.

All comments, suggestions, changes, deletions, etc., are welcomed and
encouraged.

        John Labovitz
        johnl at netcom.com

-----

Arm The Spirit
 "Arm The Spirit is a anti-imperialist/autonomist collective that
  disseminates information about liberation struggles in advanced capitalist
  countries and in the so-called 'Third World.'  Our focus is on armed
  struggle and other forms of militant resistance but we do not limit
  ourselves to this.  In Arm The Spirit you can find news on political
  prisoners in North America and Europe, information on the struggles of
  Indigenous peoples in the Americas, communiques from guerrilla groups,
  debate and discussion on armed struggle and much more. We also attempt
  to cover anti-colonial national liberation struggles in Kurdistan,
  Puerto Rico, Euskadi and elsewhere."

  Editor(s): Autonome Forum <aforum at moose.uvm.edu>
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: etext.archive.umich.edu:/pub/Politics/Arm.the.Spirit
     E-Mail: aforum at moose.uvm.edu, subject: "ATS: e-mail request"
     Postal: Arm The Spirit, c/o Wild Seed Press, POB 57584, Jackson Stn.,
               Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4X3, Canada
             Arm The Spirit, c/o Autonome Forum, POB 1242,
               Burlington, VT 05402-1242, USA
      Phone: +1 416 527 2419 (FAX for Canadian group)

Armadillo Culture
 "Being the excremeditation of a hyperactive armadillo's activities,
  opinions, and other stuff..."

  Editor(s): Steve Okay <sokay at mitre.org>
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: etext.archive.umich.edu:/pub/Zines/Armadillo.Culture
     Postal: Armadillo Culture, 2857 Foxmill Rd. Herndon, VA 22071, USA

ART COM
 "An online magazine forum dedicated to the interface of contemporary art
  and new communication technologies."

  Editor(s): Carl Eugene Loeffler <artcomtv at well.sf.ca.us>
     Format: ASCII text
     Usenet: alt.artcom
     Postal: ART COM, POB 193123 Rincon, San Francisco, CA 94119-3123, USA
      Phone: +1 415 431 7524 (voice), +1 415 431 7841 (fax)
      Other: Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link (WELL): ART COM Electronic Network
               (ACEN)

BLINK
 "BLINK would like to be a forum for the issues surrounding the intersection
  of consciousness and technology.  This is our best defense against
  postmodern angst: To critically look at and anticipate the cultural and
  social changes spurred by the rapid development of technology."

  Editor(s): Justin Kerr <ratsbats at casbah.acns.nwu.edu>
             Joe Germuska (managing editor)
             Danny Dunlavy (chiphead)
             Jake Eldridge (assistant editor)
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: blink.acns.nwu.edu:/pub/blink
     Gopher: gopher.well.sf.ca.us

Computer Underground Digest
 "An open forum dedicated to sharing information among computerists and
  to the presentation and debate of diverse views."

  Editor(s): Jim Thomas and Gordon Meyer <TK0JUT2 at NIU.BITNET>
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: ftp.eff.org:/pub/cud
             etext.archive.umich.edu:/pub/CuD/cud
             halcyon.com:/pub/mirror/cud
             aql.gatech.edu;/pub/eff/cud
             ftp.ee.mu.oz.au:/pub/text/CuD (Australia)
             nic.funet.fi:pub/doc/cud (Finland)
             ftp.warwick.ac.uk:pub/cud (United Kingdom)
     Gopher: etext.archive.umich.edu
     Postal: Jim Thomas, Department of Sociology, NIU, DeKalb, IL 60115, USA
      Phone: +1 815 753 0303 (voice), +1 815 753 6302 (fax)
     Usenet: comp.society.cu-digest
 CompuServe: DL0 and DL4 of the IBMBBS SIG; DL1 of LAWSIG; DL1 of TELECOM
      Other: GEnie: PF*NPC RT libraries; VIRUS/SECURITY library
             America Online: PC Telecom forum under "computing newsletters"
             Delphi: General Discussion database of the Internet SIG
             PC-EXEC BBS (+1 414 789 4210)
             Rune Stone BBS (IIRG WHQ) (+1 203 832 8441) NUP:Conspiracy
             RIPCO BBS (+1 312 528 5020)
             via Fidonet File Request from 1:11/70
             ComNet in LUXEMBOURG BBS (+352 466893)
             Bits against the Empire BBS (+39 461 980493) (Italy)

Crash
 "A guide to traveling through the underground.  Alternative travel
  stories, hints, and tips."

  Editor(s): John Labovitz <johnl at netcom.com>
             Miles Poindexter
             Nigel French
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: netcom.com:/pub/johnl/zines/crash
     Postal: Crash, 519 Castro #7, San Francisco, CA 94114, USA

CTHEORY -- Virtual Review of Books for Post-Modem Theory
 "CTHEORY is a new international, electronic review of books on theory,
  technology and culture. Reviews are posted monthly of key books in
  contemporary discourse as well as theorisations of major 'event-scenes' in
  the mediascape. Editors and contributors include: Kathy Acker, Jean
  Baudrillard, Bruce Sterling, Arthur and Marilouise Kroker, Deena and
  Michael Weinstein. CTHEORY will also offer the possibility of interactive
  discussions among its subscribers in the electronic theory
  'sim-posium/salon.'"

  Editor(s): <ed22 at musica.mcgill>
     Format: ASCII text
     E-Mail: LISTSERV at VM1.MCGILL.CA
               with text body: "SUBSCRIBE CTHEORY <full-name>"

Cyberspace Vanguard
 "News and Views of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Universe"

  Editor(s): TJ Goldstein <tlg4 at po.cwru.edu>
             Sarah Alexander, Administrator <aa746 at po.cwru.edu>
     Format: ASCII text
     E-Mail: cn577 at cleveland.freenet.edu
             Cyberspace Vanguard at 1:157/564 (FidoNet)
             CVANGUARD (Delphi)
     Postal: Cyberspace Vanguard, POB 25704, Garfield Heights, OH 44125, USA

Drum
 "Drum is not an isolated event but an ongoing process."

  Editor(s): R. Patrick Jones <dh644 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu>
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: etext.archive.umich.edu:/pub/Zines/Drum
     Gopher: gopher.well.sf.ca.us

Ego Project
 "This 'zine is a product of me and as such will contain anything I feel
  like putting in it.  Whatever I feel like putting in it shall include,
  but is not limited too, anything I feel applies to Gothdom in general.
  Album/single/tape reviews, book and movies reviews, etc. The Sisters of
  Mercy and the Mission are my main focuses, but since neither of them
  put out music on anything resembling a frequent basis I imagine other
  groups will be featured quite frequently."

  Editor(s): Corey Nelson <ieya at byron.u.washington.edu>
     Format: ASCII text
     Gopher: gopher.well.sf.ca.us
     Postal: Ego Project, 1717 Monroe #b, Bellingham, WA 98225, USA

Factsheet Five / Factsheet Five - Electric
 "FactSheet Five is the central clearinghouse of information about zines,
  those opinionated publications with press runs of 50 to 5000 (often done
  through surrepticious use of on-the-job supplies and xerox).  Mike
  Gunderloy of Rennsalaer, NY published 44 editions of F5.  Hudson Luce
  published the final issue, #45.  I opened my big mouth (or, rather, let
  my fingers blab away) about doing an online, net-accessible version of
  FactSheet Five."

  Editor(s): Jerod Pore <jerod23 at well.sf.ca.us> (electronic version)
             Seth Friedman <sethf5 at well.sf.ca.us> (paper version)
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: etext.archive.umich.edu:/pub/Factsheet.Five
             nigel.msen.com:/pub/newsletters/F5-E
             src.doc.ic.ac.uk:/literary/newsletters/factsheet-five
     Gopher: gopher.well.sf.ca.us
       WAIS: nigel.msen.com
     Postal: Factsheet Five, 1800 Market St., San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
               (This is for *BOTH* the electronic and paper versions;
                or for items that can't be delivered to a PO box)
             Seth Friedman, POB 170099, San Francisco, CA 94117-0099, USA
               (This is for the paper version *only*, especially
                subscriptions)
      Other: The WELL
             BBSes around the world

FUNHOUSE! -- The cyberzine of degenerate pop culture
 "Dedicated to whatever happens to be on my mind at the time I'm writing.
  The focus will tend to be on those aspects of our fun-filled world which
  aren't given the attention of the bland traditional media, or which have
  been woefully misinterpreted or misdiagnosed by the same.  FUNHOUSE! is
  basically a happy place, and thus the only real criteria I will try to
  meet is to refrain from rants, personal attacks, and flames -- and thus
  FUNHOUSE! is an apolitical place.  Offbeat films, music, literature, and
  experiences are largely covered, with the one stipulation that articles
  are attempted to be detailed and well documemnted, although this is no
  guarantee of completeness or correctness, so that the interested reader
  may further pursue something which may spark her interest."

  Editor(s): Jeff Dove <jeffdove at well.sf.ca.us>
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: netcom.com in /pub/johnl/zines/funhouse

High Weirdness by Email
  random Internet information

  Editor(s): <mporter at nyx.cs.du.edu>
     Format: ASCII text
     Gopher: gopher.well.sf.ca.us

International TeleTimes
 "International Teletimes is a general interest magazine. There are several
  recurring monthly columns but the rest of the content changes from month to
  month as new themes are chosen. The goal of Teletimes is to attract a large
  variety of writers from all over the world so that the readers will be
  exposed to a great variety of ideas and opinions."

  Editor(s): Ian Wojtowicz <ian at breez.wimsey.com>
     Format: Macintosh Doc-Maker application
        FTP: sumex-aim.stanford.edu:/info-mac/per/teletimes-*.hqx
     Postal: TeleTimes International, 3938 West 30th Ave.,
               Vancouver, BC V6S 1X3, Canada
      Other: OneNet (network of FirstClass BBSes)

InterText
 "InterText is a bi-monthly fiction magazine with over 1000 subscribers
  worldwide."

  Editor(s): Jason Snell <intertxt at network.ucsd.edu>
             Geoff Duncan <gaduncan at halcyon.com>
     Format: ASCII text
             PostScript
        FTP: etext.archive.umich.edu:/pub/EFF.journals/InterText
 CompuServe: Electronic Frontier Foundation's "Zines from the Net" section,
               accessible by typing "GO EFFSIG"

Obscure Electronic
 "OBSCURE is the zine that profiles the people in this publishing subculture."

  Editor(s): James P Romenesko <intertxt at network.ucsd.edu>
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: etext.archive.umich.edu:/pub/Zines/Obscure.Electric
     Gopher: gopher.well.sf.ca.us
     Postal: POB 1334, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA

People Power Update
  The newsletter of the bicycle advocacy group "People Power"

  Editor(s): Ron Goodman <goodman at cats.ucsc.edu>
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: netcom.com:/pub/johnl/zines/ppu
     Postal: People Power, 226 Jeter Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA
      Phone: +1 408 425 8851 (voice/fax)

Play by EMail
 "Electronic 'zine about free play-by-electronic-mail wargames.  Reviews,
  game openings, information."

  Editor(s): Greg Lindahl <gl8f at fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU>
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: ftp.erg.sri.com:/pub/pbm/PBEM-Fanzine
     Gopher: gopher.well.sf.ca.us
     Usenet: rec.games.pbm

Practical Anarchy Online
 "An electronic zine concerning anarchy from a practical point of view, to
  help you put some anarchy in your everyday life. The anarchy scene is
  covered through reviews and reports from people in the living anarchy."

  Editor(s): Chuck Munson <cmunson at macc.wisc.edu>
               Bitnet: cmunson at wiscmacc.bitnet
             Mikael Cardell <cardell at lysator.liu.se,
               Fidonet: Mikael Cardell at 2:205/223
     Format: ASCII text
     Gopher: gopher.well.sf.ca.us
     Postal: Practical Anarchy, POB 173, Madison, WI 53701-0173, USA
             Practical Anarchy, c/o Mikael Cardell, Gustav Adolfsgatan 3,
               S-582 20 Linkoping, Sweden

Quanta
 "Quanta is the electronically produced and distributed magazine of science
  fiction and fantasy.  As such, each issues is packed with fiction from
  amateur and professional authors from around the world and across the net."

  Editor(s): Daniel K. Appelquist <quanta at andrew.cmu.edu>
     Format: PostScript
             ASCII text
        FTP: export.acs.cmu.edu:/pub/quanta
             ftp.eff.org:/journals/Quanta
             lth.se:/documents/Quanta
             catless.newcastle.ac.uk:/pub/Quanta
     Gopher: gopher-srv.acs.cmu.edu (in the Archives directory)
     Postal: Quanta, 3003 Van Ness St. NW #S919, Washington, DC 20008, USA
 CompuServe: "Zines from  the Net" area of  the EFF forum
               (accessed by typing GO EFFSIG)

Scream Baby
 "What do I want?  Besides world peace, a sexy Mexican maid, and someone to
  use their fucking brains around here, I want a really good
  all-encompassing-sub-culture zine.  Music, literature, art, television,
  film, weird space-time kinks, events, information, news, humor, interviews,
  and re:views of 'Stuff I Think Is Cool.'  Not all at once, of course.
  Each issue of Scream Baby will come out whenever I can scrape together
  25-30 kilobytes of really good stuff."

  Editor(s): Blade X <bladex at bladex@wixer.cactus.org>
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: etext.archive.umich.edu:/pub/Zines/ScreamBaby
             ftp.eff.org:/pub/journals/ScreamBaby
     Postal: Cyberlicious <tm>, POB 4510, Austin, TX 78765 USA
      Other: WWIV: 46 at 5285

Unplastic News
 "the odd e-mail magazine w/a fever"

  Editor(s): <tibbetts at hsi.hsi.com>
     Format: ASCII text
        FTP: ftp.eff.org:/pub/cud/misc/journals
             etext.archive.umich.edu:/pub/EFF.journals/Unplastic_News
             quartz.rutgers.edu:pub/journals
     Gopher: gopher.well.sf.ca.us

Voices from the Net
 "There are a lot of folks with at least one foot in this complex region we
  call (much too simply) "the net." There are a lot of voices on these wires.
  From IRC to listservs, MUDspace to e-mail, Usenet group to commercial bbs
  -- all kinds of voices -- loud and quiet, anonymous and well-known. And yet,
  it's far from clear what it might mean to be a "voice" from, or on, the
  net. Enter "Voices from the Net": one attempt to sample, explore, the
  possibilities (or perils) of net.voices. Worrying away at the question.
  Running down the meme. Looking/listening, and reporting back to you."

  Editor(s): Bookish <tibbetts at hsi.hsi.com>
             CountZer0 <mgardbe at andy.bgsu.edu>
             NEURO <fbohann at andy.bgsu.edu>
     Format: Macintosh HyperCard stack
             ASCII text
        FTP: sumex-aim.stanford.edu:/info-mac/per/voices-*.hqx
             etext.archive.umich.edu:pub/zines/Voices
     E-Mail: Voices-request at andy.bgsu.edu
               to subscribe:
                 subject: Voices from the Net
                 body: subscribe

Whole Earth Review
 "We are dedicated to demystification, to self-teaching, and to
  encouraging people to think for themselves.  Thus our motto: 'ACCESS TO
  TOOLS AND IDEAS.'  Tools in the Whole Earth sense include hammers, books,
  and computer conferencing systems.  Our readers are a community of
  tool-users who share information with one another.  The ideas we make
  accessible have not often been found in university courses, but are
  becoming recognized as part of what you need to know to be truly educated.
  Our readers contribute to the editorial content as well, with both reviews
  and articles."

  Editor(s): <>
     Format: ASCII text
             Macintosh PageMaker 4.2 files
     Gopher: gopher.well.sf.ca.us
     E-Mail: wer at well.sf.ca.us
     Postal: Whole Earth Review, 27 Gate Five Road, Sausalito, CA 94965, USA
      Phone: +1 415 332 1716 (voice), +1 415 332 3110 (fax)

-----

Sites archiving e-zines with FTP:

  ftp.eff.org
  etext.archive.umich.edu
  ftp.cic.net
  quartz.rutgers.edu
  ftp.msen.com
  ftp.halcyon.com
  world.std.com
  netcom.com in /pub/johnl/zines)
  nigel.msen.com in /pub/newsletters
  grind.isca.uiowa.edu (128.255.19.233) in /info/journals

Sites archive e-zines with Gopher:

  gopher.eff.org
  etext.archive.umich.edu
  gopher.cic.net