Cheap Cruise Missles(Was Re: GPS and security

Kelly Goen kelly at netcom.com
Tue Dec 28 17:32:35 PST 1993

> If the military is worried about delivery systems' accuracy, Phil Karn
> already mentioned kamikazies, but if you don't want to make suicide part of

No suicide pact necessary.... the flight control deck of many modern
airliners is Totally fly by wire... there are different communications
protocols and buses... all controlled by eprom driven micros ...
as well as the loaded flight plans... while NOT trivial is is completelyt
within the realm of reason to be able to freely subvert say the
inputs coming from the navigational subsystems to divert said craft as
well as locking off external inputs(e.g. pilots). A
757 or Airbus  coming in at 300-600 knots with a 1/4 to 1/2 fuel load
makes a very respectable cruise missle... the passengers merely being
"collateral damage". To a more limited degree replacement and subversion
of the eproms in a modern days car's Engine control module has
already been done... witness rechipping for performance...
the same can be done for more malicious actions...
As far as the 757 flight control deck software issue... its only a matter of
time... ANY computer controlled conveyance can be subverted...
elevators, robot factories etc... ALL of the control and telemetery
protocols are currently unprotected...

The other trend is the new environmental control systems for HVAC, security
etc used in modern skyscrapers... cracking and subverting one of these
could be just as disruptive as a cruise missle while not taking lives...

     Happy New Years
     kelly...
BTW more and more modern cities are installing control systems tied into
relatively unprotected display systems(i.e. little or no security and
no encryption) the utilities are just as guilty I wonder how long
it will be before the terrorists get a clue...