GPS and security

Brenden Kootsey kootz at well.sf.ca.us
Tue Dec 28 14:00:28 PST 1993

Like Mike, I don't claim to know much about the GPS, and I didn't see the 60
Minutes report, but it was my understanding that at least a portion of the
signal is encrypted. The signal available to us mortal (non-U.S. military)
types has a built-in inaccuracy; while it is still accurate enough for some
general use, it is not nearly as accurate as the signal available to the
military. Anyone have more of the technical details, especially regarding
the accuracy?