anonymous video rental store

Paul Baclace peb at PROCASE.COM
Thu Dec 23 15:56:06 PST 1993

>it is illegal for video stores to disclose rental records anyway.

I believe the law was passed quickly after a reporter obtained a list
of videos rented by a Supreme Court nominee (or some other nomination
that must be approved by congress).  In the particular case, there was
nothing that the most sensitive, politically correct, family-values-affirmin'
[okay, that's enough] person would object to.  But, congress passed a law
within weeks, presumably because they didn't want their rentals scrutinized.

I wonder whether the list of books checked out at public libraries is
public information...[eh, nothing dicey there anyway, except Howl].

This shows how reactionary and patch-work oriented the legal system is.

A Simple Way to Rent Anonymously, but not cheaply:: buy the tape for cash
and then sell it when you are done.  This could cost 60% of the retail
price, but you get the tape for almost any length of time.  Audio CDs
are effectively "rented" in this way, with the 60% cost being average.

Paul E. Baclace
peb at procase.com