eavesdropping detection

Jim choate ravage at wixer.bga.com
Thu Dec 23 07:35:58 PST 1993

Hi George,

Merry Christmas to you, yours, and the CypherPunks!

Glad to meet another 'proffesional' security person. I worked for a major
university doing all kinds of physical security and access abuse for 5 years.
Was a lot of fun and got to play with all kinds of nifty stuff...:)

My favorite is the toilet roll camera made for Airports....

I would agree w/ you as far as the telephone switch tap is concerned. The
only way to find that is to get into the switch (or possibly the local police
computer through a rf link). When I had posted my original reply I had not
taken that into consideration. Since most police departments don't encrypt
(or at least not strongly) their database searches from their in-car
computers I can see a possible hole here. I really don't expect it to stay
open very long however (a year or two at best).

I know such data can be accepted by a normal pc w/ a scanner and modem. It
should not be much of a step to put a xmitter online and do some spoofing.