It had to happen...

Mike Ingle MIKEINGLE at delphi.com
Wed Dec 22 22:29:35 PST 1993

Today I got an interesting message. It seems that someone was doing some
hardcore hacking of machines at a university campus. The person used one
of these accounts to send me a message requesting a copy of Secure Drive.
This message and my response were wiretapped by the people investigating
the hacking. They traced the hacker and arrested him. His computer was
encrypted with Secure Drive. The IS manager involved sent me a message
asking me how to break Secure Drive, because they can't prosecute the
person without the data, and the suspect has of course forgotten the
encryption passphrase. So far I don't have many details other than these.
I hope to find out more. I'd like to talk to the investigator and to
the suspect. I sent the IS manager a copy of Secure Drive and told him
how it works, but that's about all I can do.

--- Mike