Swank's comments on Secure Drive

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Tue Dec 21 12:05:29 PST 1993

Fred Cooper writes:

> Punks'
> 	Actually Mike Ingle has commented on his position on the
> distribution of Secure Drive.  He asked that it not be placed for anonftp
> just because of the fact that he doesn't want ot run the same kind of
> risk that PRZ is currently in...
>
> I didn't save a copy of the msg but I'm sure that some one did.

Yes, and Phil Zimmermann asked essentially the same thing, though the
number of folks aware of these issues was much lower back then....and
groups like ours did not even exist then.

But when the CryptoNarcs want to go after someone for illegal export
of crypto munitions (PGP, SecureDrive, etc.), they are not overly
impressed with "wink wink, don't export this, wink, wink" caveats.

If Zimmermann gets indicted and if SecureDrive ends up on an offshore
ftp site, I expect Mike Ingle will at least get subpoenaed to testify
and produce his records, and will possibly be indicted as well.

That's the way I see it.

--Tim May

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.