Detweiler: still paranoid

Anonymous nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Sun Dec 19 15:34:19 PST 1993

Newsgroups: talk.politics.crypto,alt.privacy,alt.privacy.anon-server,news.admin.policy,comp.org.eff.talk,comp.admin.policy,alt.conspiracy
From: ld231782 at turner.lance.colostate.edu (L. Detweiler)
Subject: Re: CRYPTOANARCHIST INFILTRATION ALERT
Sender: news at yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU (News Account)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1993 07:50:42 GMT

I seem to have missed much of this thread. My news server seems to have
scrolled off all the interesting articles.  I was hoping more
cryptoanarchists would show up to call me insane. Quite a pity.

David Criswell (dcriswel at oracle.uucp) wrote:
: There's only one in the phone book. Cupertino's not all that
: big, and Szabo's a fairly uncommon name. If I were, umm, you
: know, in Mr. Detweiler's mental state, this might lead me to
: conclude that somebody was lifting "pseudos" from Bay Area
: phonebooks, and the one in the directory does not post. I
: don't really care about it enough to call him.

Mr. Criswell, could you describe the difficulty of getting fake names
into a phone book? is this trivial or impossible? This is not to in
any way imply that N.Szabo is such an occurence.

I don't know why everyone on the internet gives every single email address
they meet the benefit of the doubt. They all should get the detriment of
the suspicion. But what do I know? I am just a paranoid lunatic who is
progressing quite nicely on Prozac and intense psychoanalysis, thank you
very much.

Imagine that someone has made an art, science, and religion to pseudospoof.
Why would they do it? because there is immense power behind such a technique.
And minor barriers like phone numbers and phone books would be the first
mediums they corrupt. People trust phone numbers -- they believe that if
you can supply a phone number, you are are not a pseudonym. What is the
basis for this belief? The foundation? Nothing but naive trust that is
easily betrayed by those who have build their lives around deceptions.

Don't care? well, don't blame me when tomorrow you find out that the
cryptoanarchists own the largest share of the world mafia, and have
succeeded in doing so by coordinating it over the Internet. Even better yet,
let you be tortured by them all your life without ever discovering the
true source of your wretched desperation.

--

ld231782 at longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU