For folks interested in ViaCrypt Use

Syl Miniter 803-768-3759 MINITERS at citadel.edu
Sat Dec 18 12:56:46 PST 1993

From:	IN%"71332.747 at CompuServe.COM"  "James Hicks" 18-DEC-1993 11:04:13.14
To:	IN%"miniters at citadel.edu"  "Syl Miniter"
CC:
Subj:	ViaCrypt

Syl,

I saw your question on the Cypherpunks mail list.  Recently Dave Barnhart, the
ViaCrypt product manager (for Lemcon Systems) became active on Compuserve's
Electronic Frontier Forum.  The following is a statement he left in the forums
message section.  He appears more than willing (even eager) to answer
questions about ViaCrypt and can be contacted at the addresses given in his
message.

  James
|>----------------------------------------------------------------------<|
|PGP 2.x Key ID: F9A281 Fingerprint <F2A1A42B 67408691 5A6A2F0F C1104457>|
|>----------------------------------------------------------------------<|

*========================================================================*
From: Dave Barnhart (ViaCrypt), 70275,1360
      70275.1360 at compuserve.com
Date: Thu, Dec 2, 1993, 8:45:16 PM [PST]

ViaCrypt is a division of a 17-year old company named Lemcom Systems.
Lemcom Systems has traditionally produced IBM mainframe communication
controllers and other network products.  About 1989, we began producing a
network product that used DES (That's about the only kind of encryption that
IBM will admit exists).  About 2 years ago, the ViaCrypt division was formed
to develop products incorporating public key cryptography for the PC, UNIX,
and workstation market.  About 1 year ago, ViaCrypt sub-licensed the RSA
patents from Public Key Partners (PKP).  Late last summer (1993), we were
introduced to Phil Zimmermann, author pf PGP.  Phil expressed an interest in
finding a way to commercially market PGP.  Together with our law firm, one
of the coutry's formost experts on intellectual property rights, we examined
the terms of our PKP sub-license to determine if ViaCrypt could market a
commercial version of PGP, and if so, under what conditions.  At the same
time, we also investigated obtaining a sub-license for the IDEA cipher from
Ascom Tech AG in Switzerland.  The opinion was that we could market PGP
provided:

 1) we substituted ViaCrypt-written RSA code for the existing RSA code in PGP.

 2) we did not supply source code.

So in late September we signed an agreement with Phil Zimmermann to market
the commercial version of PGP, which we chose to call ViaCrypt PGP.  Except
for the RSA routines, a couple of bug-fixes provided by Phil, and a change
in the "welcome banner", the code in ViaCrypt PGP is identical to that found
in PGP 2.3a.  This means that it is interoperable with PGP 2.3a.  Except for
the aforementioned changes, we made no other changes or additions to the PGP
2.3a source to produce ViaCrypt PGP 2.4 for MS-DOS.

Why would you buy ViaCrypt PGP instead of using the 'freeware' PGP?  First,
many small businesses and large corporations have expressed a great deal of
interest in using PGP, but have not done so because of the legal exposure
from RSA.  ViaCrypt PGP removes this problem.  As for the individual, Dr
Hugh Miller said it best on USENET, but I won't quote him here without his
permission.  Essentially, it's your chance to "stand up and be counted" on
the subject of how you want your encryption.  It's the best chance we may
have to say:

1. "We don't like the rigid, hierarchical trust model in PEM", and:

2. "We don't want any system incorporating key escrow (a la clipper)"

ViaCrypt PGP version 2.4 for MS-DOS is available from:

        ViaCrypt
        2104 W. Peoria Ave
        Phoenix, AZ  85029
        Phone (602) 944-0773
        FAX (602) 943-2601
        Internet: wk01965 at worldlink.com
        Compuserve: 70304,41

Price: $99.98 (single user)
      $299.98 (five users)
      $824.98 (20 users)

Plus $8.00 S & H, (and if you live in a small number of states, I can't
remember which ones, they make us collect sales tax.)

We intend to have ViaCrypt PGP available for just about every platform on
the planet.  We should be announcing the availability of ViaCrypt PGP for
several UNIX platforms shortly.  I hope to have MAC and Windows versions
available some time in the second quarter of 1994.

And I know it doesn't make for a great story, but at the CSI Computer
Security Conference in Anaheim a month ago, Phil Zimmermann was in our booth
(we asked him to come).  Jim Bidzos was at the same conference, making a
presentation.  There were no bloody brawls in the hallway, no shouting
matches, I don't think the two even encountered each other.  The rest of the
folks at the RSA booth stopped by, and were actually quite cordial. ho hum.

I apologize for the length of this message, but I hope it answers everyone's
questions.  If not, ask away, or feel free to contact me at ViaCrypt. (If
you call ViaCrypt with questions, I'm the one you'll probably talk to, by
the way.)

Best Regards,
David Barnhart
ViaCrypt Product Manager