inman vs. crypto

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at orchard.medford.ma.us
Fri Dec 17 07:36:18 PST 1993

   ' "My Answer", he said "would be legislation which would
   make it a criminal offense to use encrypted communications to conceal
   criminal activity.

This isn't so bad all by itself, but...

   ..you could have a registry of institutios which can
   legally use cryphers. If you get somebody using one who isn't registered,
   then you go after him." '

... this is absolutely unacceptable!

BTW, I just called Sen. Kennedy's office.  Kennedy is on the Armed
Services committee, and according to the secretary is in favor of the
nomination, but I asked a staffer to ask Kennedy to ask Inman about
how he reconciles the First Amendment with statements he's made like
these.

					- Bill