Distribution of Secure Drive

Stephen Williams sdw at meaddata.com
Fri Dec 17 07:01:18 PST 1993

> I'm the process of arranging the release of my own Unix crypto file system,
> and am myself concerned about the export issues (as is my employer).
> Messages like this one don't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling about
> people violating their agreements to not export the code or
> otherwise creating future headaches on my behalf.
>
> If you think that an author of cryptographic software is immune from
> export hassles just because it was someone else who exported it, ask
> Phil Zimmermann...
>
> -matt

I think someone else brought this up:

Write the whole skeleton with the proper crypto hooks and then
distribute it without the crypto library.  You could replace it with
xor, or a crc, or something.  The crypto library could be distributed
more carefully.

After all, with pgp etc. source, it isn't the crypto that's hard, it's
the OS interface code.

I'd love to have such a thing for Linux BTW...

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams  Local Internet Gateway Co.; SDW Systems 513 496-5223APager
LIG dev./sales       Internet: sdw at lig.net CIS 76244.210 at compuserve.com
OO R&D Source Dist.  By Horse: 2464 Rosina Dr., Miamisburg, OH 45342-6430
GNU Support          ICBM: 39 34N 85 15W I love it when a plan comes together