Is VIACrypt PGP authorized for use byPKP?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 17 00:24:04 PST 1993

>From what I know, based upon reading the ViaCrypt PGP documenation
and from what I've heard from other sources, ViaCrypt has a license
with PKP for their RSA engine software.  As such, ViaCrypt can do
anything they want with that software.

So, ViaCrypt replaced the RSA engine in PGP with their own, licensed
RSA engine.  As far as PKP is concerned, ViaCrypt can do this, and
PKP can't say anything.  As to whether or not there are other problems
with PGP, well, I won't comment on that.

If you own ViaCrypt PGP, you have a fully licensed program, and PKP
cannot touch you for using it.

-derek