Anonymous Video Rental

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Thu Dec 16 11:46:02 PST 1993

P>So, when I go to Huntsville Utilities and ask them to turn on the
P>power at my house, rather than writing a check or giving them personal
P>information, I just tell give them a blinded token which they could
P>use to withdraw $X from my account at the Austin-Internet Credit
P>Union.

As always the UK is ahead of the curve on this one.  It is still possible
in certain UK apartments to pay gas *and* electricity bills anonymously.
The electricity and gas meters have coin boxes on them.  You want
electricity or gas and you just put the coins it.  True.  This used to be
the standard method of paying for utilities.

This is less common for electricity now but any office of British Gas will
still sell you plastic "keys" that are shaped like keys.  They turn on
your gas for a set period of time and presumably break off in the process
so they can't be reused.

Cutting-edge high tech!

DCF

"Buy Extra Gas Tokens For the Holidays"  Poster inside BG offices this
time of year.

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165