*2* remailers have been attacked

Sameer sameer at soda.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 15 22:13:57 PST 1993

	I'm wondering if any people here running remailers have been
having trouble lately.

	I'll explain. (And try not to act paranoid.)

	I ve been running a remailer on
cs60a-qu at cory.eecs.berkeley,edu, and one day the account was disabled.
I mailed the responsible administrator, and he said that it was
because I didn't reply to his mail (I never check that account's
mailbox, 'cause I hardly use it.) telling me that I should see him in
person about possible email abuse.
	My account was going to be disabled on the 20th anyway, so I
really didn't worry about it-- I had finals to worry about.

	So now I'm in Boston, and I call netcom, (where I run another
remailer) and they tell me the account is being investigated because
the account was used to break in somewhere. I know *I* did no such
thing.
	I finger the account (by calling all the way across the damn
country to my berkeley account) and it says that my las login was from
soda.berkeley.edu, even though my las login was from the Berkeley
dialup, not soda.

	I was told to call the netcom office tomorrow morning about
the issue.

	My question is whether anyone else running a remailer has been
attacked lately.

In paranoia,
	Sameer

(Please pardon any irrationallity.. phone calls from Boston->Berkeley
are *not* cheap, and it's pissing me off.)