USENET on a tape, and future privacy

Jeremy Porter jerry at terminus.dell.com
Sat Dec 11 20:47:07 PST 1993

In article <2ee0sd$o5s at uudell.us.dell.com> you write:

>From owner-cypherpunks at toad.com  Sun Dec 12 02:49:42 1993
>From: nate at VIS.ColoState.EDU (CVL staff member Nate Sammons)

>I was just thinking.  My roommate mentioned that he saw an ad for
>a service available in europe.  They send you an 8mm tape evey week
>the last, say, 10 years, and run them through a filter to get a feel for
Hm.. 1 tape a week at 52week/year, gives 520 8mm tapes, assuming
they can process one tape every 30minutes, thats nearly 11 days.

Proably will take about 1 to 2 hours a tape, just to read through
the stuff.  You are talking about thousands of dollars of cost
to do such a search.  Then someone has to weed out all of the other
"Doe, John" messages that were not you.
Considering most business don't bother to verify references, and those
that do still usually only check employment history.

Once again your are offered a limited protection by the volume of
information.  Usenet traffic being rated at some 21gigabytes a year
(traffic through UUnet) considering the low information value
of the vast majority of it, no one will be interested in storing it.

In usenet no one can hear you scream...

--
Jeremy Porter  ------------- Systems Engineering --------
Dell Computer Corp.   ------ jerry at terminus.us.dell.com ----