Internet Backbone Traffic

jdblair at nextsrv.cas.muohio.EDU jdblair at nextsrv.cas.muohio.EDU
Thu Dec 9 14:16:27 PST 1993

Someone in the past week asserted that, at $1000 a gig, one could store
all of a year's worth of mail headers from the Internet backbone for under
~$8.7 million. (8700 gigs of data, I presume?)

Sorry, I don't remember who it was, but I have some questions:

1) Where can I find an estimate of the mail volume on the net?
2) Are there any projections of internet usage (subscribers, mail users,
etc.) over the next several years?

I plan on holding an educational session on net legal issues, and I would
like to point out the $8.7 million/year price tag on a mail header
archive (scary potentials, to say the least), but I would like some sources to
back me up if I assert it.

Can anyone help me out?  I'd really appreciate it.
-john.

John Blair <jdblair at nextsrv.cas.muohio.edu>              phone: (513) 529-4879
    Insert cool signature file that makes a trendy, yet bold and original
   statement about my cyberspace proficiency, then mentions that I'll send
   you my PGP public key if you want it, and you trust that I'm actually me.