moderated cryptography list

Perry E. Metzger pmetzger at lehman.com
Mon Dec 6 15:32:45 PST 1993

Hello, all.

I'm looking for a site willing to host a high-quality moderated
cryptography mailing list which I am thinking of starting up.  The
list would be designed as a low volume, high readership, high quality
source for

1) In-depth technical discussions of cryptography
2) Announcements of cryptographic products
3) Announcements of news items of interest to the cryptography
   community.
4) VERY limited numbers of postings on the social implications of
   cryptography, and I mean VERY limited.

All postings would be explicitly approved by the moderator before
going out to assure quality. Yes, that means fascistic restriction of
your capacity for free speech, in exchange for not being overwhelmed
with garbage every day.

It is ultimately envisioned that should the list be a success I would
try to move it to a moderated Usenet newsgroup.

If you think that such a list is a Good Thing, and you can host it
(which requires that you have a good internet connection and root
access or similar on the machine in question), please let me know.
I'll do all the work, and the crypto community will thank you
tremendously.

Perry Metzger