REMAIL: list 12/2/93

Karl Lui Barrus klbarrus at owlnet.rice.edu
Thu Dec 2 13:42:35 PST 1993

Unless I missed more, the changes are
  chaos.bsu.edu can be looked up, so no more remailer%chaos
  remailer at cdodhner at indirect.com is down

also, I got some anon mail about changing the dos scripts to include
more redirection to nul; apparently 4dos is more verbose.  I will
update this over the break, promise!

Cypherpunk anonymous remailers, 12/2/93

Q1: What are the anonymous remailers?

A1:

 1: remailer at chaos.bsu.edu
 2: nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
 3: hh at cicada.berkeley.edu
 4: hh at pmantis.berkeley.edu
 5: hh at soda.berkeley.edu
 6: 00x at uclink.berkeley.edu
 7: hal at alumni.caltech.edu
 8: cs60a-qu at cory.eecs.berkeley.edu
 9: ebrandt at jarthur.claremont.edu
10: catalyst at netcom.com
11: sameer at netcom.com
12: remailer at rebma.mn.org
13: elee6ue at rosebud.ee.uh.edu
14: elee7h5 at rosebud.ee.uh.edu
15: hfinney at shell.portal.com
16: sameer at soda.berkeley.edu
17: remail at tamsun.tamu.edu
18: remail at tamaix.tamu.edu
19: remailer at utter.dis.org
20: remailer at entropy.linet.org
21: elee9sf at menudo.uh.edu
22: remail at extropia.wimsey.com

NOTES:

1-6		no encryption of remailing requests
7-21		support encrypted remailing requests
22		special - header and message must be encrypted together
12,19,20,22	introduce larger than average delay (not direct connect)
12,19,22	running on privately owned machines
13		requires "cash" payment for remailing
21		supports RIPEM encryption, caches remailing requests

Q2: What help is available?

A2:

Check out the pub/cypherpunks/remailer directory at soda.berkeley.edu
(128.32.149.19).

chain.zip             - program that helps with using remailers
dosbat.zip            - MSDOS batch files that help with using remailers
hal's.instructions.gz - in depth instruction on how to use
hal's.remailer.gz     - remailer code
pubkeys.tar.gz        - public keys of remailers which support encryption
pubkeys.zip           - MSDOS zip file of public keys
scripts.tar.gz        - scripts that help with using remailers

For MAC's, at 129.82.156.104 in /pub/pgpc/ are two files:
pgpc22.tar.gz, pgpc22.tar.Z which assist in using the anonymous
remailers, including anon.penet.fi.

Mail to me (klbarrus at owlnet.rice.edu) for further help and/or questions.

Q3.  Email-to-Usenet gateways?

A3.

 1: group-name at cs.utexas.edu
 2: group.name.usenet at decwrl.dec.com
 3: group.name at news.demon.co.uk
 4: group.name at news.cs.indiana.edu
 5: group-name at pws.bull.com
 6: group-name at ucbvax.berkeley.edu

NOTES:

*  This does not include ones that work for single groups, like twwells.com.
#6 blocks from non-berkeley sites (so use the berkeley remailers :-)

Karl L. Barrus: klbarrus at owlnet.rice.edu
keyID: 5AD633 hash: D1 59 9D 48 72 E9 19 D5  3D F3 93 7E 81 B5 CC 32

"One man's mnemonic is another man's cryptography"
  - my compilers prof discussing file naming in public directories