EFF Op-Ed from the NY Tim

Patrick E. Hykkonen pat at tstc.edu
Thu Dec 2 06:38:38 PST 1993

> > Got a list of their names?
>
> I doubt it.  If you're not enrolled at a major university, or employed
> at a computer-related company, and don't subscribe to an expensive
> online service, getting an internet account is NOT easy or cheap.
> Services like netcom are expanding, but I seriously doubt a homeless
> person could get an internet address.  Check out almost any BBS network
> (other than fido) and every other week, some jerk will ask when they'll
> get connected to the internet.  And every time, five sysops respond
> "Fine.  We'd love to.  Would you mind telling us how the hell we could
> connect to the internet???"

This is beginning to kill me!  This guy comes from the cmu.edu domain
and obviously has never tried to get an account on a system outside of
his institution.  Much less on one of the "expensive on-line
services", as he put it.

Here's some news!  Currently the Delphi service offers full Internet
connectivity (e-mail, FTP, Telnet, Gopher, News) for $20 a month for
20 hours of access.  Delphi can be accessed through SprintNet which
means that most metropolitan areas will have a local dial in point.
In the near future America On Line has stated that in the near future
they too will go full connectivity, they charge $9.95 a month for 4
hours worth of access.  AOL currently has e-mail available.  That's
just two of the services that can be accessed from just about any city
of any real size in the states.

Now, let's talk about those sysops that want to get connected to the
Interet.  Here in Waco, Texas (a city of about 150,000 people...
250,000 people if you count all the outlying cities) to get a 56K
dedicated Internet connection would cost something like...

	$ 3000.00	Router
	$ 1500.00	CSU/DSU
    	$  600.00	Local Loop Termination/Installation
	---------
	$ 5100.00	One-time costs.

	$   75.00	Regional Network membership fee
	$  250.00	Local Loop Charge
	---------
	$  325.00	Monthly costs.

These figures are ballpark, and some are gueses based on experience in
dealing with the regional networks here in Texas.  I know several
sysops here that would easily spend $5000.00 on their board in one
shot, and could easily spend the $300.00 a month for the connection.
On top of all that, it is a proven fact that people will *pay* for
Internet connectivity.

These costs are based on a dedicated 56K connection.  A 14.4 or 19.2K
SLIP connection would probably be *much* less!

And, as Duncan and so many others are so fond of pointing out.  If the
gummint would get out of the way and let competition happen for the
local loop these prices would drop dramatically.

--
Pat Hykkonen ** N5NPL ** pat at tstc.edu ** CNSA -- (817) 867-4831
Disclaimer:  This product may cause irritability in some users.  In cases of