AV Macs and Apple Paranoia

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Mon Aug 30 19:33:51 PDT 1993

Jamie Jamieson asks:

> Actually I was going to ask in here if the DSP in the new Macs would lend
> itself to real-time PGP use for voice communications.

Phil Zimmermann says a non-CELP scheme he is investigating is fast
enough on a run-of-the-mill 486 for "Pretty Good Phone Privacy," or
whatever he ends up calling his project.

The 66 MHz AT&T DSP (a true paranoid would note the "AT&T") in the new
AV Macs is enormously faster, for many DSP and array manipulations,
and should be even easier to develop a voice-encryption scheme for.

Also, software-based schemes can easily be reconfigured to
emulate/talk to other encryption systems or phones. This may be part
of why the Skipjack algorithms are being held secret for as long as
possible, to delay this emulation.

-Tim May

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.