"more money than brains?"

M. Stirner M..Stirner at f28.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG
Wed Aug 25 16:32:14 PDT 1993

 Uu> From: cdodhner at indirect.com ("Christian D. Odhner")

 > ViaCrypt PGP will be available in the USA and Canada, for an introductory
 > price of $100...for a single user
                         ^^^^^^
 Uu> Ok, I just spoke with Dave somebody at viacrypt, and he told me that
 Uu> the ViaCrypt PGP would be based on PGP 2.3a, and the only code changed
 Uu> would be the lines implementing rsa itself.
 Uu> improvements were made to ViaCrypt PGP, the same improvements would be
 Uu> made to the freeware version. I was thinking that if a bunch of us
 Uu> cypherpunks wanted copys we could order them...

Only one question:  WHY?  If PGP is freeware for noncommercial single
users, why on earth would anyone wish to drop $100 +/- for single-user
rights to a virtually identical program?

The mind boggles.  I know that the principal Cypherpunks are rich, but
I'm sure they could find more worthy charities than ViaCrypt...like
getting me a new modem, for example...

* <m..stirner at f28.n125.z1.fidonet.org> - PGP Key D30909 via servers *
* > What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not  <*
* > warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit <*
* > of resistance?  Let them take arms!" - Thomas Jefferson, 1787  <*

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12
--
M. Stirner - via FidoNet node 1:125/1
UUCP: ...!uunet!kumr!shelter!28!M..Stirner