Offshore Data Havens and

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Fri Aug 6 10:50:42 PDT 1993

To: cypherpunks at toad.com

J >From: jet at netcom.com (J. Eric Townsend)

J >Actually, the Feds can do anything they want.  Theyve taking to
J >raiding off-short pirate radio statons in international waters, there
J >was that bit with Noriega, etc etc.   Reagan set a standard by
J >completely ignore the world court.

Omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence eh?  We might as well give up
and go home. <G>

The feds have many powers including the ability to nuke the hell out of
everything.  The question becomes how usefull those powers are.  After
all, Caeser or Louis XIV could "destroy the city, leave no stone standing
upon stone and sow the ground with salt."  The difference today is that
the "peasants" of the OECD countries are much more powerful than those of
18th century France.

The Feds can apply point force but they can't apply it everywhere.  They
can do some things in international waters, they can kidnap some "drug
kingpins"  they can't go after every "criminal" *inside* the US much less
overseas.  Their limited current powers will be further limited once
secure untraceable communications nets are in place.

More than that, their power and prestige depend on how the people they
rule view them.  If we turn aside from them, their power will evaporate
overnight.  If the KGB couldn't block liberalization, the Fibbies, the
Company, and Ft. Meade won't be able to either.

Don't worry about it.  Social change is underway.  We'll achieve autonomy
Just In Time.

Duncan Frissell

ATMs, Contracting Out,  Digital Switching, Downsizing, EDI, Fax, Fedex,
Home Workers, Internet, Just In Time, Leasing, Quants, Securitization,
Temps

- Not as sexy as Tim May's signature line but just as important.

--- WinQwk 2.0b#0