PGP on soda.berkeley.edu

Geoff White geoffw at nexsys.net
Fri Apr 30 12:04:06 PDT 1993

> It follows, doesn't it, that Jim Bidzos would be forced to apply similar
> legal pressure to the Cypherpunks leadership to get them to remove PGP from
> their site, a site which may be one of the leaders worldwide in distributing
> PGP.
>
> Now we see Tim suggesting (in the spirit of "pancritical rationalism"?  I'm
> not so sure...) that we move away from PGP, and Eric offering arguments
> showing why Bidzos has to do what he is doing.
>
> Is there a connection?  Are Tim and Eric under pressure from Bidzos to get
> PGP off their site?  I don't know, but they would certainly be likely
> targets for Bidzos' efforts, and so it is understandable that they may be
> feeling personal discomfort.  But I'd like to hear more about the
> relationship with Bidzos.
>
> Hal

	I think you are being a little paranoid.  I clearly see the points
that Eric and Tim are making.  RSA is not going to "roll over" for us.  If they
did, it could mean the end of their company.  Jim out of detante, might not
be sending us (the Regents of UC to be exact) a letter because of the potential
ramafications (both legal, and publicity wise) It would not be a good move
for RSA or for cypherpunks,  but if this issue heats up, he may be forced into
this stance, which is one I'm convinced by meeting the man, that he personally
would not like to take, but WOULD take if it came down to us or the companies
patents being made null and void from failure to enforce them.  I think he
is passing over us for the time being, unless media attention causes him to
do otherwise, remember he would sent "the letter" to the regents of UC Berkeley
they are the one's who own soda, not the cypherpunks.  I think we have to
decide whether we are promoting PGP or an individuals right "to affordable
secure cryptography"  I for one will continue to use PGP until something
better comes along.  I'd be willing to give RSA $50 - $100 for the right to use
the software, in this case BECAUSE THE ISSUE OF PRIVACY IS MORE IMPORTANT TO
TO ME THAN THE ISSUES OF WHETHER SOFTWARE IS PATENTABLE.  Now this does not
mean that I don't believe in free software but if we don't stop the stuff that
the feds are doing right now, the other issues won't make any difference.

What founding father said "If we all don't hang together we will surely hang
seperately"
NEXUS SYSTEMS/CYBERTRIBE-5 : Voice:(415)965-2384   Fax: (415)327-6416
Editor/Instigator/Catalyst : Geoff White <geoffw at nexsys.net>
Production Crew            : Universal Movement Trinity <umt at nexsys.net>

        "They might stop the party, but they can't stop the future"

                --PGP Public key available upon request--
 AT&T:Phones with Big Brother Inside, Just say "NO" to the Clipper wiretap chip!