Tough Choices: PGP vs. RSA Data Security

wcs at anchor.ho.att.com wcs at anchor.ho.att.com
Thu Apr 29 18:29:14 PDT 1993

Pat Farrell writes:

> I'm writing a Windows-based POP client designed for folks that can't spell SLIP.
> It should have strong encryption invisibly and automatically.
> It won't until there is a legal encryption engine with at least the key
> management of PGP.

(I'm replying to cypherpunks, since other people may run into
similar problems, and there *are* good ways to solve them.)
Let's assume for the moment that you don't care about being exportable,
so "legal" only means "Ok with RSA".  RSAREF is ok with RSA for
non-commercial, non-exportable use, and if you want to use it commercially
they'll give you a price.  It's got most of the subroutines you need,
and if some non-Yankee writes a version with a compatible interface
(to avoid copyright problems; patents aren't an issue outside the US)
they can probably use the non-RSA parts of your code.

I'm not sure exactly which routines in RSAREF the license lets us use,
(so I've written to RSA to ask them), but the ones that ARE clearly usable
let you do Sign/Verify on a block, and DES-with-random-session-key-and-
signature-with-RSA-session-key-encoding (aka R_SealPEMBlock/R_OpenPEMBlock.)
This gives you all you need to build standalone systems (compatibility
is another story), though sometimes it's a big and clunky approach
when a simple RSAEncrypt/Decrypt would have done.

For example, your POP client needs to solve three main problems
1) Login authentication
2) Message encryption during transmission
3) preventing bogus deletes or other problems if your session gets hijacked.
3) probably isn't possible without changing the protocols or running over an
	encrypted telnet-equivalent session, but that's not RSA's problem.
	The POP3 RFC1225 explicitly recommends against including extra
	data in the DELE messages, though I suppose you could use
	an RSAREF signature as extra baggage anyway, including some
	kind of timestamp or counter to prevent replay.
1) The current POP protocols have the user send a USER message,
	to which the system either sends a rejection or a positive
	+OK response with arbitrary text to follow, and the user sends
	a PASS message, with password in clear-text, which is not real swift.
	This obviously needs to be replaced with some sort of challenge-
	response method to prevent eavesdropping and replay.
	A simple method using the block stuff is for the system's
	+OK response to the user to contain a challenge-string,
	and the user's PASS variable to be the challenge-string (or that+1)
	with an RSA signature from R_SignPEMBlock().  If Diffie-Hellman
	were included with RSAREF, the response could include a DH half-key.
	Alternatively, the PASS variable could be an encrypted
	R_SealPEMBlock() message containing the challenge and a session key,
	encrypted using the server's public key and signed by the client.
2) can either be accomplished by encrypting each message as with
	a new session key and RSA to encrypt the session key
	(a bit slow, but each message is now self-contained,
	which has some degree of elegance) or else by negotiating a session
	key at the beginning (as discussed in the above) and using it for
        each message.  The latter approach is obviously	faster.

The main feature from PGP that this doesn't provide is authentication
of public keys, but that's not really a problem in a POP environment -
you have to deal with the administrator to set up your mailbox,
so you can exchange keys at that time.

If you wanted to build a mechanism like PGP's web of trust for keys,
it's not too hard, though the obvious approaches will probably have
the painful slowness of PGP2.0 instead of the blazing speed of PGP2.2 :-)
You've got a block signature routine, so you use messages saying
	 "Keysig User KeyLen Key SignerUser SignerKeysig [SignerKey?]"
with appropriate amounts of ASCII armoring and delimiters, and sign them.
This would be a very practical addition to RIPEM, if anybody's in the mood;
RIPEM's key server isn't integral to the package.

			Bill Stewart wcs at anchor.att.com