HELP! Some nut is threatening to sue!

E. Dean Tribble tribble at memex.com
Thu Apr 29 15:07:35 PDT 1993

	 From: Stanton McCandlish <anton at hydra.unm.edu>
	 Date: Wed, 28 Apr 93 21:31:10 MDT

	 this is a real threat?  Last I heard PGP *MIGHT* violate a patent, but

PGP does violate patents.  Several people, particularly in the
cypherpunks community, are trying to alleviate the RSA vs. PGP
problem.  The controversy is counterproductive (and all sides seem to
be mostly good guys), so let's not stir the pot further.  Two of the
solutions are 1) PGP could be reimplemented to use RSAREF, and 2)
RSAREF (or something like it) could be extended to include all the
functionality of PGP, but without the patent problems.  (RSAREF is a
copyleft implementation of RSA stuff).

	 From: jim at RSA.COM (Jim Bidzos)

	 I don't think you're aware of our position on pgp. Unfortunately, you
	 may leave us no choice but to take legal action, which we will unless
	 you cease promotion adn distribution of pgp. The next message will
	 state our position.

I encourage you to cease public promotion (because the RSA claim is
legit), and send a message to Jim asking him what you can do to
encourage a freely (and easily) useable and legal general encryption
tool.

dean