Need some Advice

Stephen P. Marting spam+ at cmu.edu
Thu Apr 29 10:32:24 PDT 1993

Excerpts from cypherpunks: 28-Apr-93 Need some Advice by "Robert D
Shofner"@vax1.cc.uakron.edu
>  My question is what is the diff. between a Software Eng. & Computer Sci.
> degree. Some of my profs say that they don't know of any schools offer
> a BS in Software Eng.  If that is the case then why do people use that
> term? Or is it a Masters degree or something like that?

Well, I'm not too sure what this has to do with cypherpunking, but here goes:

The difference between Software Engineering and Computer Science is sort
of like the difference between Differential Equations and Mathematics.
SoftEng is a subset of CompSci.  I don't believe there are any schools
that offer SoftEng as a BS degree - very few schools even offer an
undergrad-level SoftEng course, Carnegie Mellon University (we're ranked
second in CompSci overall) being a notable exception.  We offer a
Masters degree in SoftEng, and even have a program set up that allows a
student to achieve a BS in CompSci and a MS in SoftEng in five years.
[However, squeezing both those degree programs into a 5-year period
would probably kill most ordinary mortals.  I don't recommend this
program, as lots of people have a hard time fitting the BS into
four-and-a-half :) years.  We're a tough school...]

Not a University Spokescritter, but I play one on the net,
-Spam

--
spam+ at cmu.edu          |~|___________   Spam is:            Please
sm6h+ at andrew.cmu.edu   |             \  Steve Marting       Email me