Tough Choices: PGP vs. RSA Data Security

Sy Verpunc svp at gtoal.com
Thu Apr 29 07:24:09 PDT 1993

: At risk of getting the goats of some friends of mine who read the list, I'm
: tending to agree with Tim's ideas here.  Brief conversation with Jim Bidzos
: at the cypunx mtg indicated that he is very much up for something along the
: lines of a personal encryption product that would meet our needs.  From a

All he has to do is let us pay a licence fee for pgp.  What's the advantage
to him in asking for a different piece of code that uses RSAREF and DES
instead of Phil's code and IDEA?  I can't see it, except that using DES
blows away the security of the program...

No, I think this suggestion should be put down now, or we'll splinter and
give them exactly the divide-and-conquer opening they're looking for.