Crypto references

Paul Ferguson fergp at sytex.com
Sun Apr 25 10:27:52 PDT 1993

On Sat, 24 Apr 93 19:52:42 EDT,
 Gatlin Anthony CDT <uunet!usma8.USMA.EDU!x62727g2> wrote -

AG> I am looking for some books on advanced bit manipulation
AG> techniques, matrix manipulation algorithms, and variant
AG> functions. Does anyone have a good bibliography?

 The WIRED May/June issue (page 59) listed probably the most relevant
 books  on the topics (including the not-so-relevant) -

8<------ Cut Here ---------

The Bedside Crypto Reader
Further Readings on Cypherpunk Topics

General
-------

The Codebreakers                    Puzzle Palace

David Kahn (Macmillan, 1967).       James Bamford (Penguin, 1983).
The seminal cryptographic history.  A classic expose of thr National
                                    Security Agency.

Books on Cryptographic Systems
------------------------------

Contemporary Cryptography           Cryptography and Data Security

Edited by Gustavus J. Simmons       Dorothy Denning (Addison-Wesley,
(IEEE Press, 1991). A fairly        1982). A good primer to the
technical volume offering solid     workings of crypto systems.
background on the subject,
including a chapter on the history
of public-key cryptography by
Whitfield Diffie.

Sci-Fi Novels Beloved by Cypherpunks
------------------------------------

Ender's Game

Orson Scott Card (Tor, 1985). Some vivid scenarios in which crypto
anonymity is crucial.

Shock-Wave Rider

John Brunner (Balintine, 1976). Chilling representation of an
oppresive lack of privacy in a networked society.

True Names

Werner Vinge (Blue Jay Books, 1984). A novel of cyberspace-style
sojourns that outline links between electronic identity and physical
identity.

Cheers.

Paul Ferguson                    |  Uncle Sam wants to read
Network Integration Consultant   |       your e-mail...
Centreville, Virginia USA        | Just say "NO" to the Clipper
fergp at sytex.com                  |          Chip...