Consumer phone privacy info sheet

Nick Szabo szabo at techbook.com
Sat Apr 24 18:47:13 PDT 1993

Greetings cypherpunks,

I'm preparing this consumer phone privacy info sheet to post to
libernet, misc.consumers, etc.  Any corrections or further information
greatly appreciated.

for details.

AT&T by this action has demonstrated its contempt for its customers'
privacy.  Here are some other long-distance providers that may have
more respect.  All U.S. long-distance companies are required to surrender
to telephone taps under government "authorization", but some require more
"authorization" than others, or otherwise make a greater fuss about it.
Companies which use primarily multichannel fiber optic lines are
physically more difficult to tap.

Allnet Long Distance Services	1-800-783-2020
MCI, commercial			1-800-888-0800
MCI, residential		1-800-950-5555
Metromedia Communications Corp.	1-800-275-2273
One-2-One Communications	1-800-293-4121
Sprint, residential		1-800-877-7746
Sprint, business		1-800-733-5566

True privacy can be obtained with a veil of encryption, by using
pairs of phones containing privacy chips, which scramble the
signals *and* keep the keys private.  Contact your local business
telephone dealers for privacy phones from Ericson and other companies.
Please e-mail me detailed info on these phones, and also further
info on long distance services, and I will post a summary along with my
own research findings.

Nick Szabo					szabo at techbook.com
Protect your electronic privacy with PGP -- public key available